Creamy, garlicky pasta — what’s not to like? This quick and straightforward pasta is the final word satisfying, nourishing meal with tomatoes, arugula, and fiber-rich beans. YUM.
Just 10 ingredients required in your recent favorite weeknight-friendly pasta, friends. Allow us to show you the way it’s done!
This garlicky pasta starts with (you guessed it) garlic! And there’s more within the sauce, friends. We aren’t fooling around! Canned white beans mix with the garlic and a few tomatoes for a savory, garlicky base.
While the beans soften in tomatoey goodness, it’s sauce time! The sauce starts with soaked cashews for a brilliant creamy result, and for major flavor and “cheesiness” we add dietary yeast, garlic, and lemon zest + juice. Add some water and mix ‘er up!
Next it’s time so as to add a generous portion of arugula to the saucy tomatoes and beans. Not a fan of arugula? Spinach would work well here, too!
“All together now!” Lastly, the cooked pasta goes into the pot with the wilted greens and saucy tomatoes. The sauce gets added as well, and while it would look a bit thin, don’t worry! A number of minutes over low heat and the sauce will thicken to creamy perfection.
We hope you LOVE this lemon garlic pasta! It’s:
Comforting but fresh
& SO satisfying!
It’s perfect as a meal by itself but can also be delicious with sides corresponding to our Perfect Roasted Asparagus or Easy Green Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette. For more protein, pair with our Crispy Baked Tofu with Italian Herbs or Lemon Baked Salmon with Garlic Dill Sauce.
More Plant-Based Pasta Recipes
For those who do this recipe, tell us! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photograph @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 (Servings)
Cuisine Gluten-Free, Vegan
Freezer Friendly No
Does it keep? 3-4 Days
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp dietary yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 12 oz pasta of selection (we like Jovial gluten-free penne)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 (439 g) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (or sub chickpeas, but they’ll be more firm)
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6 cups baby arugula
Add cashews to a heat-proof bowl and canopy with no less than 2 inches of boiling water. Put aside to soak.
PASTA: Bring a big pot of well-salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta, stir, and set a timer for the lower end of your package’s al dente advice. Proceed with the recipe while your pasta cooks.
- Meanwhile, heat a big pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add olive oil and garlic and cook until fragrant and frivolously sizzling — about 1 minute. Add the drained and rinsed beans, tomatoes, and salt and stir to mix. Then reduce to low heat, cover, and let simmer whilst you make your sauce.
- SAUCE: Drain the cashews and add them to a high-speed blender together with the opposite sauce ingredients (water, lemon juice, dietary yeast, garlic, salt, and lemon zest). Mix on high until very smooth and creamy, scraping down the perimeters as needed. The sauce could appear thin but it is going to thicken once added to the pasta.
PASTA: Test your pasta for doneness and drain. Then add the arugula to the tomatoes/beans and stir to mix. Once the arugula has wilted, add within the cooked pasta and the cashew sauce and blend well. Turn the warmth to medium-low and proceed stirring until every little thing is nicely coated and the sauce begins to thicken barely.
- Serve warm garnished with vegan parmesan cheese, if desired. Leftovers keep for 3-4 days. Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with Jovial brown rice penne and ~2 teaspoons vegan parmesan cheese per serving.
Serving: 1 serving Calories: 440 Carbohydrates: 65.1 g Protein: 15.6 g Fat: 14.7 g Saturated Fat: 1.9 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.8 g Monounsaturated Fat: 7.2 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 388 mg Potassium: 789 mg Fiber: 8.1 g Sugar: 3.5 g Vitamin A: 320 IU Vitamin C: 86 mg Calcium: 163 mg Iron: 4.8 mg